Blog > WANTED: Archivist for heritage project
WANTED: Archivist for heritage project
Oxford House want to recruit a consultant archivist to lead our initial 12-month volunteer archive research and interpretation strand of work, which will support further investigation of sources at Oxford House and external partner archives to offer more evidence to support our interpretation planning document and a sources investigation report (both 2016) which mapped our interpretation themes to known sources of evidence.
The consultant archivist will be responsible for developing and implementing systems and procedures for the proper management of Oxford House’s documentary heritage and records, ensuring that all valuable documents and modern records are not only preserved and organised to the highest professional standards, but embedded fully in the life of Oxford House and our Activity Plan.
Working in partnership with Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives and other partners, the archivist will recruit a team of volunteers to undertake archive research, repackaging, cataloguing and digitisation. This will be done using our interpretation framework to identify, document and make accessible material to support our 5 themes within the fixed interpretation/activities with partners (Kazzum, Walk East, Columbia Road etc.) new interpretation activities and resources.
We would like the commission to begin in November/December 2017 and last for 12 months.
We would like the process to be iterative and for the consultant to be prepared to work closely with members of Oxford House team including the Chief Executive, Cultural Programmer and the Volunteer Manager. We would expect the process to include:
1. Familiarisation with interpretation planning and source report and communication with Oxford House
2. Regular sites visit to Oxford House to liaise with the team, external partners and manage volunteer cohort throughout the 12 month period
3. Managing with Oxford House the recruitment of suitable volunteer team
4. External liaison with project partners
5. Internal liaison with Oxford House’s tenant organisations that are partners in the delivery of the Activity Plan 6. 2 or 3 site visits at start of project to train volunteer team recruited by Oxford House
7. Training session with Volunteer Manager
8. Final meeting with Oxford staff for evaluation purposes
The total budget available for this commission is £12,000.
Responding to the brief
The applicant should provide a statement of how their past experience would allow them to carry out the above stated brief and person specification. Please send your CV and contact details of two references you have worked for recently and the extent of professional insurance or indemnity cover or the willingness to obtain.
Responses of no more than 4 pages of A4 should be emailed to John Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 31st October 2017.