Blog > The Inauguration of the Oxford House Building 1892

11. The Opening of the New Oxford House in Bethnal Green

The Inauguration of the Oxford House Building 1892

The inaugural ceremony was performed by H.R.H the Duke of Connaught and Duchess of Teck (as a royal approval) on 23rd of June 1892. The presence of archbishops, Canterbury and York, as well as six other bishops, was a tribute to the work of Oxford House.

But perhaps the most significant were the members of the University Club, ordinary Bethnal Greeners, with their banner containing the words “Education; Temperance; Religion; Equality; Fraternity; Success to Oxford House”.

Source: OXFORD HOUSE. “Oxford House in Bethnal Green 1884-1948” 1950.

Oxford House
Derbyshire Street,
Bethnal Green,
London E2 6HG
020 7739 9001

Sign up for eNewsletter
© oxford house by bethnal green 2014 . copyright . all rights reserved . powered by devstars