Blog > Hensley Henson, Oxford House leader

Hensley Henson, Oxford House leader

Hensley Henson was a young clergyman when he was appointed the leader of Oxford House at Christmas in 1887.

He had been to the settlement to give a lecture on General Gordon and was fired by the vision of the then head, The Revd Jimmie Adderley, to establish a new order of celibate men in Oxford House, a sort of mini-monastery socially engaged in serving the local area.

Like many of his time, Henson saw service to deprived urban areas as an important part of the work of the church.

His short time at the settlement, just over a year, was an energetic one for a man who went on to fill a number of prominent church posts and was regarded as something of a controversialist.

One of eight children, he came from a relatively humble background, and was educated at Oxford University where he became a fellow of All Souls College.

He was appointed to Oxford House within a month of his being ordained deacon.

The settlement then had four working men’s clubs, a choir, a lecture hall, a chapel, and rooms for residence. Henson added a library.

He also set up the Webbe Institute in Hare Street where boys aged between 16 and 18 had a gymnasium, a canteen, and dormitories for 50 boys. For more on this, see The Webbe Boys’ Club.

Henson’s time in Bethnal Green was short. He was offered, and accepted the parish of St Margaret’s, Barking and went on to serve with distinction many prominent postings, including Canon at Westminster Abbey, Dean of Durham Cathedral, Bishop of Hereford and finally Bishop of Durham.

He is the subject of two biographies by Owen Chadwick and, more recently, by John S. Peart-Binns.

Kevin Scully, OH Trustee

Picture: Henson is on the front row on the left hand side, accompanied by the other five first heads of Oxford House. Cameron, Averil, Archer, Ian W. “Keble the Past and Present” Third Millennium, London 2008.

Heritage
Workers and Welfare: Living Conditions of the 1800’s East End On This Day... 30th November 1891 WANTED: Archivist for heritage project Fascism in the East End The Blitz The Original Oxford House Conscientious objectors The Welsh Schools The Excelsior The Effects of World War I in Oxford House War Memorial The Inauguration of the Oxford House Building 1892 From Oxford House to Local and International Stardom In the Spotlight: the Repton Boxing Club and Oxford House Hensley Henson, Oxford House leader The Kray Twins Alfred Soord, The Crucifixion. Oxford House Chapel Women and Oxford House Oxford House and its Clubs Why you should donate to save our secret chapel The Bethnal Green Tube Tragedy The Webbe Boys’ Club Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It’s Super Kid (a.k.a. Eddie Marsan) Save Oxford House's 'Secret' Chapel Oxford House and Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram Our resolution? Raise all the funds to start our major heritage project Post War Regeneration of Bethnal Green Weavers’ Fields and the Huguenots Guy Clutton-Brock: from Oxford House to hero of Zimbabwe WWI: Zeppelins or ‘Take me back to dear old Blighty’ The Hidden Gem: Oxford House Chapel History in the making Oxford House and Ben Uri Gallery The Chapel Oxford House Arms: Dominus Illuminatio Mea Why is Oxford House listed as Grade II Heritage? Heritage Lottery Fund - 'Oh! ‘wins’ the lottery' Who designed Oxford House? The Boys and Men’s Clubs in the 19th and early 20th century Why a new building in 1891? Rise under Rev. Winnington-Ingram How it all begun. Clubs and activities at Oxford House 1884 Who created Oxford House? What is a settlement? 130 Not out! Our pre-history: The Oxford Movement From Victorian Gap Year to Community Hub
archive categories
Oxford House
Derbyshire Street,
Bethnal Green,
London E2 6HG
UK
Phone
020 7739 9001

Email
info@oxfordhouse.org.uk
Sign up for eNewsletter
© oxford house by bethnal green 2014 . copyright . all rights reserved . powered by devstars
Charity Number: 208582 . Company No: 59858 . VAT Registration No: 752 0306 67