Blog > The Chapel

The Chapel

6. Why a new buliding in 1891Did you know that there is a Chapel built into the Oxford House? Yes, there is a chapel on the top floor of the building and it was once used for prayer and sanctuary.

This attic chapel is a very special survival for both its design and craftsmanship. Some of the original items and furniture of the chapel are no longer with Oxford House; however, they do not cease to exist. These items may be seen in St. Matthew’s Church in Bethnal Green. The painting of the “Crucifixion” from 1904, by Alfred Soord, set into a brightly painted Gothic tracery reredos still remains on its original place.

The neo Jacobean screen and paneled walls contain some memorial plaques. Most of this memorabilia reefer to the people involve on the work of Oxford House throughout the history.

Oxford House
Derbyshire Street,
Bethnal Green,
London E2 6HG
UK
Phone
020 7739 9001

Email
info@oxfordhouse.org.uk
Sign up for eNewsletter
© oxford house by bethnal green 2014 . copyright . all rights reserved . powered by devstars