About Oxford House > Oxford House Refurbishment
Oxford House Refurbishment
The refurbishment programme was completed during the summer of 2019. Yippee!
The £3.24 million project is funded by National Lottery Heritage, Tower Hamlets Council, Power to Change and several other trusts and foundations. Following procurement in early 2018 we selected Rooff Limited, as our main contractor. Practical completion took place in June 2019.
The refurbishment works included:
• New roof and spiral staircase to a new roof terrace for community events
• Creation of a new café/welcome space with extra income stream/attract new visitors
• Refurbishment of the chapel as space for cultural activities and hire
• Provision of a new lift to the chapel and 3rd floor
• Creation of the Settlement Room for events, training and volunteering
• Provision of accessible toilets on 3rd floor
• Redecoration and repair to original leaded windows, brickwork and chimneys
• New infrastructure including new central heating, electrical upgrades, new CCTV and phone/fibre system
• Removal of asbestos
Heritage England also announced in October 2019 that Oxford House was removed from the Buildings at Risk Register.
BACKGROUND TO THE PROJECT
Oxford House was placed on the Buildings At Risk Register by Historic England in 2017 due to the poor condition of the roof and need to carry out urgent refurbishment works.
To do this we have started a major new project, ‘From Victorian Gap Year to Community Hub’. To date we have raised £2.5m towards the cost of this work. We have support from Heritage Lottery Fund, Tower Hamlets Council, Power to Change and Wakefield and Tetley/Tower Hill Trusts.
We raised over £30,000 from a crowdfunding campaign with over 170 supporters kindly donating to save the chapel.
We still need to raise around £180,000 and are applying to charitable trusts and foundations.
You can still donate via The Big Give. Follow the link via the big red Donate Now button.
The project will
• repair and replace the roof
• create a new entrance from the Pocket Park
• create a new and larger café + outdoor seating!
• replace old boilers with new energy efficient ones
• provide a new lift and access to the 3rd floor
• create a new roof walk with incredible 360 degree views across London
• create a 2 year programme of heritage activities
• provide 100 volunteering opportunities
To find out more or how you can help browse through the folders below. And remember, you can donate using the BIG red button!